A story of friendship and love inspired by Gaby’s drink bottle

Monday, May 2, 2011

Chapter 3


‘I’m sorry Emma it’s my fault,’ Eric apologized for about the tenth time since math had ended. ‘I tried talking to Reynolds to let you off but well, he’s Reynolds,’
She still couldn’t believe it; Eric Carter was walking with her to detention. Not behind or in front but side by side! Okay, that sounded less sad in her head. If she were game enough she could brush her hand against his, that’s how close she was.
‘Tom?’ she called out to the guy with a coffee in one hand, the other turning the knob to the detention room.
‘Emma? What are you doing here?’ said Tom
‘I could say the same for you.’
‘Detention as always. Are you here for me?’
‘Yes Tom. My world revolves around you.’
‘Ha. Ha.’
‘We got a detention from Reynolds for passing notes,’ she said
We? He looked behind her, finally Tom noticed Eric. He grinned, his plan was working.
‘What’s the coffee for? You don’t drink coffee,’ said Emma
Tom smirked ‘You’ll see.’ He opened the door and held it open ‘Ladies first’ he said. Emma walked through into the detention room. Eric followed, they both nodded to each other.
‘Hey Shah,’ greeted Emma and took a seat next to her friend. Shamiqua (‘Shah’) was writing on the tables in white out, she looked up. ‘Girl, what are you doing here? Did you get lost on the way to the toilet?’
‘Is it so hard to believe that I could get a detention?’
‘Uh uh I was there remember? You were meant to save me a seat and you know I don’t like Reynolds that old man looks down my shirt all googly eyed. He gives me the shivers,’
‘Oh yeah, sorry about that.’
‘Mmhmm. Now honey, you gotta give me the goss. What were you doing sitting with Eric Carter?’
‘I don’t know, he just sat next to me. It was so random.’
Eric took the seat in front of Emma.
Shah leant closer to Emma and lowered her voice ‘Girl, he is so fine,’ she said.
 Emma shushed and nudged her. She realised that it was just herself, Shah, Eric and Tom in the room waiting for whatever sorry teacher was taking them to detention. Tom was at the door, waiting. After ten minutes the teacher turned out to be Eric, Shah and Emma’s math teacher, Mr Reynolds.
‘Good afternoon Mr Reynolds,’ greeted Tom as he entered the room. Mr Reynolds hesitated for a moment, suspicious by Tom’s polite tone.
‘Mr Wilkinson,’ he nodded to Tom with a frown. Tom handed him the coffee he had been holding over to Mr Reynolds. He took it and proceeded to the teacher’s desk. Tom took a seat next to Eric.
‘You know in my day,’ he said before taking his sip of the coffee. ‘Students gave their teachers apples,’
Tom turned around in his seat and gave Emma a wink. She gave him a confused look. She knew he was up to something but what? The room was quiet except for the ticking of the clock. They watched attentively at Mr Reynolds who was doing a crossword and drinking his coffee at the front, waiting for something to happen.
‘Tom, you know you’re not going to get away with it,’ said Emma
‘Yeah I know, but I’ve got to get to volleyball practice before it ends.’
‘You don’t play volleyball.’
‘No, but she does. I heard William talking about asking her tonight. I gotta get in before he does.’
‘Quiet down. You’re in detention, not the disco,’ said Mr Reynolds from his crossword.
Everyone quietly giggled at the use of the word ‘disco’. Mr Reynold’s stood from his chair, his face red with fury.
‘I SAID QUIIEE-’ he came to a sudden halt. A loud uncomfortable wet rumble from his stomach echoed throughout the room. Mr Reynolds moaned, hugged his stomach and ran out of the room.
‘I’ll be right back,’ said Tom and ran after him.
‘Am I high? I’m high aren’t I?’ said Shah rubbing her eyes. Emma laughed. She was used to Tom’s antics and forgot that some people weren’t.
Eric turned around.
‘Hi,’ he said.
‘Hey,’ replied Emma and sunk lower into her seat.
Tom peeped his head around the door.
‘Hey guys you can leave now if you want,’ he said and disappeared. Emma, Eric and Shah gathered their things and quickly left the room.
‘That guy is a legend,’ said Eric
Emma hardly listened, a million thoughts rushed through her mind.
Oh crap, it’s going to be dark by the time I get home. And Tom’s not going to be there…what if I get mugged? Wasn’t it the other day a girl was murdered about twenty minutes away? I’m going to die. Tomorrow I, Emma Matthews will be found in pieces in a dumpster. If I’d known I would’ve left the house with better underwear. Oh God that’s going to be so embarrassing. Emma thought as they were running down the hall.
‘Do you ladies need a ride home?’ Eric offered.
‘I er no thanks I don’t want to be a-’
‘Shotgun!’ yelled Shah and already started running towards Eric’s famous silver Audi parked in the parking lot.
‘You sure Emma? Because that wasn’t an offer, you don’t really have a choice.’ Emma thanked him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment