A story of friendship and love inspired by Gaby’s drink bottle

Monday, May 2, 2011

Chapter 6


‘I have homework for you,’ he said. He started to unzip his backpack to get out Emma’s homework. Emma put her hand over his to stop him.
‘What are you really doing here?’ He looked up with an innocent expression as if he did not know what she was talking about. Emma stared at him more sternly. Knowing that he would never win the fight against her deathly stare he dropped his façade and sat on her bed.
‘Okay okay you got me. It’s about the Californian chi-I mean Lacey. I need…help,’
‘Well, well, well. I never thought I’d ever see the day that Tom Wilkinson admits that he needs help with the ladies,’ she said triumphantly. ‘What happened to ‘I like the game’,’ she mocked.
‘Screw the game. Yesterday the whole school saw Lacey’s name mowed into the football field, signed by William. And then today he snuck into Principal Wallis’ office and sang ‘Love Me Tender’ over the PA with the school’s freaking barbershop quartet and dedicated the song to her. How do you even compete with that?’
‘So what do you want me to do?’
‘Be my wingman when we see her at the Damon’s party next week. Please?’
‘You know I hate going to those sort of parties. And someone always ends up throwing up on my shoes-Tom, stop looking at me like that!’
Tom’s eyes were looking up at Emma, glistening against the moonlight coming from the window. They were wide with tears welling up at the bottom, determined to release and fall down against his cheek. Emma rolled her eyes.
‘Fine. I’ll do it,’ she said, surrendering to his puppy dog eyes. Tom’s face instantly lightened up. He jumped up onto the bed and did a little cheer dance.
‘Shh! You’ll wake up my dad,’ she hissed. Tom apologized and stepped off the bed and to his backpack. He pulled out a slip of paper from the middle pocket and handed it over to Emma.
‘For you milady, a permission slip for our biology camp in two week’s time,’ he turned to leave.
 ‘Oh, I almost forgot,’ he said. He reached into his pocket and pulled out red gummy bears that were sealed in a sandwich bag.  He handed them over to Emma. ‘Get well soon, Em,’ he turned to leave.
‘Wait Tom, how did you know that I only eat the red gummy bears?’
He shrugged. ‘Remember that time you left your handbag at my place when you slept over at grade 3?’
‘No, but go on,’
‘Being the curious young lad I was I looked in to see what you actually have in there. Anyway, there was a packet of gummy bears and before I ate them I noticed all the red ones were missing.’
Tom had never mentioned this before and it surprised Emma that he would remember something like this. Heck, he had sometimes had trouble remembering his little brother’s birthday. Touched by his thoughtful gift Emma opened her arms and walked in for a hug.
‘Oh God, no please don’t go all gooey on me. Please. It took ages for me to pick them out of each gummy bear mix. You owe it to me not to-’
But it was too late. Tom patted her awkwardly.
‘You’re a great friend Tom,’ she said into his chest

No comments:

Post a Comment