A story of friendship and love inspired by Gaby’s drink bottle

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Chapter 14


 ‘What did I do wrong?’ he asked. His dark brown eyes looked at her with worry.
‘Er, what?’
‘You didn’t call me all weekend. And you’re avoiding me. I just need to know what I did to upset you. And then I’ll leave you alone.’
Emma unconvincingly laughed. ‘Avoiding? Ha ha What? Ha ha What are you talking about?’
‘Well, for one, this morning when you saw me in the hall you turned the other way and ran into the girls’ bathroom.’ More like ran into the door, thought Emma.
 ‘I had to really go. I had a bad breakfast burrito-’ she stopped herself as soon as she realised what she was saying.
‘There I go again’, she mumbled.
Now it was Eric’s turn to say ‘What?’
Emma closed her eyes to collect herself. ‘Okay, here goes...you have this…affect on people.’
Eric lifted his left eyebrow. Emma could feel herself rise a few degrees.
‘See? You’re doing it right now! You have this aura of perfectness that intimidates everyone and makes me say stupid things. Like, like when you drove me home last week,’ she accused. Emma took a deep breath.
‘Wait is this what all this avoiding me stuff is about?’
‘Yeah. Wait…no yeah I’m pretty sure that’s it.’
Eric placed his hands on Emma’s shoulders gently moving them towards her to corner of the room.
His voice deepened ‘Can you do me a favour?’
Emma didn’t reply, finding it very hard to find her voice. And breath.
‘Tell everyone I’m kind of far from perfect.’
He leaned down to brushed his lips lightly against hers. He lifted his head up and paused for a moment.
 ‘Sorry, I thought if I did that it’d get the awkwardness between us out of the way,’
He timidly scratched his head. ‘I guess it didn’t work. I’m gonna…I’m gonna go now,’ he stammered and stumbled over a chair as he made his way out of the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment