A story of friendship and love inspired by Gaby’s drink bottle

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Chapter 10

It was half past midnight now and the roads were almost deserted. Eric helped Emma into his car. He did up her seatbelt and went into the driver’s seat.
‘Hey Eric! Eric. Eric. Eric. Eric. Eric,’ said Emma.
‘Yes Emma?’
‘Can I touch your purdy hair? It’s so dark and purdy,’ she said. Without waiting for a reply she brushed though Eric’s hair with her fingers. Eric laughed and turned on the engine.
She fell asleep with her mouth gaped open on the whole ride home. When they had reached their destination, Eric gently nudged her.
‘Five more minutes, dad,’ she mumbled into the seat and flipped on her other side. Eric got out of his car and scooped Emma out of the passenger’s seat.
‘Can you walk?’ He let her slowly down on her feet. Emma wobbled like a calf taking its first steps.
‘Here, lean on me.’ He helped her to the front door.
‘No no no Dad would kill me if he sees me like this.’
‘Did you want to stay over my place tonight then?’
Emma snorted. ‘Oh yeah, that’ll put him at ease.’
‘Is there any other way of getting in?’ he asked and scanned the area
‘The ladder. It’s behind the bush.’
Eric piggybacked a drowsy Emma up the ladder and into her room. She aimed to fall onto the bed but only managed to get halfway there. She was sprawled on the carpet like an animal rug. Eric carried her the rest of the way, laid her on the bed and pulled her bed sheets over her halfway.
‘I am so drunk right now,’ she said dreamily
‘I know,’ said Eric who was sitting by her.
‘Why do you have to be around when I make a nut of myself? You must think I’m some crazy loser,’ she mumbled.
‘It’s not too bad…I like crazy girls,’ he said. He looked at his watch and remembered that he had to go back to the party to drive everyone home.
‘Goodnight Emma,’ he said. He leaned down and kissed her lightly on the forehead. But by then Emma was already sound asleep to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment